Package Quantity: 15
Unit Product Weight: 5 lbs
Features and Benefits
- Eco-friendly: boxes made from 100% post-recycled material, livestock grown in the U.S. without chemical treatments,
- Customizable substrate and plant
- Full color, educational Owner's Guide.
- Low maintenance. No electricity required.
- Ideal for home, office, and classroom.
The second part of the BLUEiQ includes the live and customizable parts.
- Shrimp: Every BLUEiQ begins with 5 juvenile dwarf shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda). "Neos" reach maturity at about 1/2 inch and will continue to grow to a maximum length of 1 inch. Neos are omnivores, taking advantage of algae and soft plant tissue in their environment for food.
The color of Neos varies between males and females, as well as amongst individuals. Neo color is also influenced by the environment. Over time, Neos can develop more pigmentation as a means of camouflage in darker environments. Please see the BLUEiQ Owner's Guide for more information and interesting facts on this species.
- Snails: The BLUEiQ snails are miniature aquatic species common throughout North America. Their primary food source is algae that grows on the surfaces of the BLUEiQ glass, substrate, and plants. Unlike Neos who use grasping appendages to pick at strands of algae, the BLUEiQ snails have a rough tongue-like structure called a "radula" that they use to scrape at tough algae. The snails can grow to a maximum size of 1/2 inch.
- Plants (Choice of 1):
- Fern (Microsorum pteropus): Microsorum pteropus ("Java fern") is an aquatic fern of the genus Microsorum. It is found in freshwater bodies of various geographic areas in Southeast Asia.
Java fern attaches to the surface of substrates using root-like structures called rhizomes. Use thread to anchor the plant by tying the rhizome to a large piece of substrate. As the plant matures, the rhizome will adhere to surrounding substrate.
This fern grows relatively slowly, extending new fronds (leaf-like structure) along the rhizome. The fronts are the primary site for photosynthesis and nutrient absorption. Under certain conditions, this aquatic fern can also reproduce by releasing miniature plantlets from the undersides of mature leaves.
- Moss (Taxiphyllum barbieri): Taxiphyllum barbieri ("Java moss") is an aquatic moss of the genus Taxiphyllum. It is native to Southeast Asia.
Java moss is an epiphytic (self attaches to rocks) aquatic moss. If tied to substrate using tying thread, this moss will reproduce rhizoids (root-like structures) that attach to nearby objects. This moss can also be left floating.
Flat, rough surfaces are best for tying moss. Wrap the tying thread around the stone several times until the moss is held tightly against the stone. Over time, the moss will cover the tying thread. Java moss quickly adapts to a wide range of lighting conditions. Under low light, the moss will grow long and thin. Under bright light, the moss will grow dense and display brighter colors.
- Grass (Najas guadalupensis): Najas guadalupensis ("Najas grass") is native to most of North and South America.
Najas grass is a versatile aquatic plant that will grow either rooted in substrate or floating loosely in water.
This plant grows in segments. The length between each segment is determined by light levels and available nutrients in the water. By increasing the length of each segment, Najas can quickly adapt to a range of lighting conditions by "reaching" towards the light. Najas will extend white roots downwards, into the substrate to help anchor itself.
- Substrates (Choice of 1):
- Lava (black): Lava (black) is a medium-sized (up to 20mm granules) substrate consisting of a special blend of naturally occurring dark-colored lava rock. BLUEiQ owners may find their shrimp reacting to the color of this dark substrate by intensifying their pigmentation. Lava rock is characteristically porous, allowing for bacteria growth. Aerobic and anaerobic bacteria grow on the high-surface-area lava rock more easily than traditional substrates. Beneficial bacteria is essential for the "cycling" of any aquarium, converting ammonia waste from fish and uneaten food to nitrite and then nitrate. BLUEiQ owners can read more about the Nitrogen Cycle on page 20 of their Owner's Guide.
- Lava (red): Lava (red) is a medium-sized (up to 20mm granules) substrate consisting of a special blend of naturally occurring red-colored lava rock. Lava rock is characteristically porous, allowing for bacteria growth. Aerobic and anaerobic bacteria grow on the high-surface-area lava rock more easily than traditional substrates. Beneficial bacteria is essential for the "cycling" of any aquarium, converting ammonia waste from fish and uneaten food to nitrite and then nitrate. BLUEiQ owners can read more about the Nitrogen Cycle on page 20 of their Owner's Guide.
- Coarse: Substrate Coarse is the largest (up to 30mm granules) substrate available. It will give your BLUEiQ a bold, rock feel. This substrate is a mixture of tumbled stone that easily stacks to form natural caves in lower levels, providing a hiding place for small Neos and snails. Individual units of Substrate Coarse are ideal for tying stones for BLUEiQ plants.
- Fine: Substrate Fine is the smallest (up to 1mm granules) grained substrate. It forms a soft smooth blanket at the bottom of BLUEiQs. Neos sift through this neutral colored substrate in search of algae and other microorganisms to feed on.
- Smooth (dark): Substrate Smooth (dark) is medium-sized (up to 20mm granules) and is made up of a variety of naturally colored river rocks. The smooth surface of each stone makes buying plant stems very easy. The array of colors in this substrate is what makes it stand out among all of the other substrate options.
Caring for the BLUEiQ is a reminder about the importance of being environmentally responsible. Their efforts to be more eco-friendly are ongoing, but we thought we'd share what they currently do.
- Specially designed boxes secure and protect contents without foam packaging material.
- Packaging material used in shipping is made from 100% recycled paper.
- Colored boxes made from 100% post-consumer recycled material.
- Livestock and substrate bags made from recyclable polyethylene.
- Gift wrapping is made from recycled paper and biodegradable twine.
- All livestock are cultured in the United States without chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or antibiotics.
- All species are routinely verified clear of U.S. invasive species publications.
In the BLUiQ environment, a community of organisms work together to make the environment habitable. Though the actions of the organisms may be driven by self-interest; nonetheless, the effect of their actions are what makes life sustainable. The relationship of the organisms forms a cycle. Because the organisms in the BLUEiQ naturally work together, little is required to maintain the mini-ecosystem.
Claims can submitted via email to contact@theBLUEiQ.com.
This warranty applies only to products manufactured by Art & Science For All, Inc. (“ASV”) and sold under the BLUEiQ trademark by an authorized distributor or authorized reseller. ASV provides no warranty for products purchased from unauthorized resellers or distributors. This Warranty Policy is non-transferrable and applies solely to the original registered owners of the BLUEiQ.
The BLUEiQ is a unique product, divided into two packages. Package 1, or BLUE One, includes most of the non-living components of the BLUEiQ. Package 2, or BLUE Two, includes most of the living components of the BLUEiQ.
BLUE One / 1 Warranty
ASV warrants BLUE One contents to be free from defects in material or workmanship for a period of (45) days from the purchase date or until the customer confirms the order for BLUE Two, whichever comes first. By ordering BLUE Two via www.theBLUEiQ.com, the customer certifies that the contents of BLUE One have been inspected and received as expected, without defect. By confirming the order for BLUE Two, the customer waives right to claim future warranty on BLUE One contents. All BLUE One Warranty conditions being met, ASV agrees to promptly replace any defective component, free of charge.
Minor cosmetic variations in handcrafted BLUEiQ glass components are to be expected and do not deem the item as defective.
BLUE Two / 2 Warranty
By confirming the order for BLUE Two, the customer also accepts the responsibilities associated with caring for the livestock which will arrive in BLUE Two. ASV does not guarantee shrimp will reproduce within the BLUEiQ ecosystem.
Live Arrival Guarantee
ASV guarantees live arrival of no less than (5) shrimp, (2) snails, and (1) plant portion. ASV agrees to promptly replace any livestock that have perished during shipping, free of charge. Claims for Live Arrival Replacement must be made within 24 hours of Delivery Confirmation timestamp. Claims for Live Arrival replacement must include clear digital photographs of all BLUE Two contents and packaging.
Live Replacement PolicyIn the event that any fewer than (2) shrimp, fewer than (1) snail, or less than (1) plant portion remain alive within the (3) month Replacement Policy Period, ASV agrees to make available to the customer complimentary, replacement livestock. ASV requires that the customer pay in advance all shipping and handling charges for Live Replacement livestock.
The dynamic nature of the BLUEiQ ecosystem will cause the proportions of each living component to naturally change over time. However, for a period of 3 months following the Live Arrival Guarantee period, ASV extends the following replacement policy:
Order Processing & Shipping
Packages containing live organisms ship from the ASV facility Monday through Wednesday in order to avoid delays caused by carrier closures on the weekend. At ASV's discretion, shipment dates of live organisms may be delayed due to carrier's shipment schedule or hazardous weather conditions. ASV reserves the right to alter its shipping dates or modify its packaging if necessary to ensure the safe arrival of livestock.
Denial of Claims
ASV reserves the right to deny any claim that does not meet the applicable warranty conditions described above. ASV reserves the right to deny any claim that may have been the result of abuse, improper, or otherwise negligent care of the BLUEiQ ecosystem. ASV reserves the right to require customers provide proof of purchase including, but not limited to, purchase receipts, website login information, or BLUEiQ serial numbers.
ASV agrees to process warranty claims promptly, but reserves the right to investigate all claims prior to issuing replacement items. ASV reserves the right to request photographic or physical examination of the customer's BLUEiQ equipment and/or location during the review of any claim. In its investigation, ASV may contact the customer, carrier, or other relevant parties via email, telephone, or facsimile.