What Makes It "Green"
To-Go Ware offers solutions for a world with life on-the-go. Life is moving fast for everyone these days, and sometimes that can cause us difficulty in making conscious lifestyle choices-especially when it comes to food! With the explosion of "to-go" culture, there is no shortage of disposable containers and utensils crossing our paths everywhere we go, and we've all started to feed the landfill more than we may realize. How many plastic forks and spoons do we toss away each week? How many plates, to-go boxes, napkins and cups? Start to do the math and see what that adds up to per year-you may be surprised at the impact you are having.
If we cannot abandon our need for "to-go" convenience as we move through our busy lives, we can certainly integrate ways of being more mindful and conscious of the impact our lifestyle has upon the planet... our hope is that To-Go Ware can provide you the tools to make that difference, allowing you to be a Solutionary in these to-go times.
Additionally, To-Go Ware believes in and support the Principles of Environmental Justice adopted by the delegates to the First National People of Color Environmental Leadership Summit (1991), as well as the Bali Principles of Climate Justice developed by an international coalition of groups gathered in Johannesburg for the Earth Summit (2002).
To-Go Ware is committed to the following human rights with respect to employees in the United States, as well as their business partners abroad:
- Treat all employees with respect, dignity, and justice;
- Prevention of child or forced labor
- Prevention of sweatshop conditions in the workplace, including coercive birth control, limited ventilation and restricted bathroom breaks;
- Pay employees a living wage and offer health benefits to full time employees;
- Comply with applicable state and municipal labor laws that protect employees from working more than 48 hours per week, with at least one day off for every seven day period;
- Prevention of exposure to hazardous working conditions, such as circumstances that increase the risk of bodily harm or exposure to chemicals known to be highly toxic to people and the environment;
- Freedom of association, the right to organize and collective bargaining;
- Prevention of sexual harassment of all employees;
- Prevention of corporal punishment, mental or physical coercion or verbal abuse;
- Provide childcare for parents, or provide flexibility with regard to work hours so that parents can provide adequate childcare;
- Refusal to cross labor picket lines unless no alternative is available and there is no way to avoid the task;
- Refusal to partner with any companies under boycott by social or human rights groups that share To-Go Ware's values and goals for a just society;
- Refusal to work with partners who lobby against human rights;
- Because labor regulations are different in every country, when working with companies abroad, they seek out businesses that are certified with at least the minimum protections for employees set by the International Labor Organization, opting for those that seek to go above and beyond these minimum requirements; additionally, they have shared To-Go Ware's code of conduct with all of their partners and require their third party auditors to measure their partners against this code;
- Lastly, they do not discriminate against qualified applicants based on the basis of race, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, physical or mental ability, marital status, national origin, creed, ancestry, family care status, age, class or any other identity protected by law.
To-Go Ware was conceived in response to the wasteful to-go culture our societies have increasingly become dependent upon. They are committed to providing our customers with a high quality product that offers a sustainable, hip alternative that has a positive impact on people and the planet. They are committed to the following environmental protections with respect to their office in the United States, as well as their business partners abroad:
- Refusal to partner with companies that lobby or campaign against environmental conservation and protections;
- Refusal to partner with any companies under boycott by environmental justice groups that share To-Go Ware's values and goals for a sustainable society;
- Use of post consumer products- 100% post consumer when available- instead of those produced from virgin materials, as well as prioritizing the use of second-hand and compostable products;
- Commitment to achieving carbon neutrality in the workplace by instituting such practices as minimizing carbon-intensive travel when possible, encouraging the use of public transportation, utilizing virtual communication tools such as conference calling, email and video conferencing;
- Commitment to conservation and reduction of harmful workplace emissions through participation in curb-side recycling programs, use of CFL lighting, skylights, efficient use of heating system, double-sided printing, reduction of non-recyclable/non-compostable waste, utilizing fully bio-degradable cleaning and toiletry products, and when appropriate, buying products in bulk to reduce the amount of packaging per unit and fossil fuels used in transport;
- Commitment to work with a carbon offset organization to educate their customers about how to reduce carbon intensive activities, as well as sharing in the responsibility of meaningfully offsetting the carbon footprint of To-Go Ware;
- Adhere to all state and federal regulations related to land, water and air pollution, certified by third party auditors;
- Because environmental regulations are different in every country, suppliers must be certified (when financially feasible) or strictly uphold at least the minimum protections for environment set by the International Labor Organization (ISO 14001); To-Go Ware will opt for business relationships with those suppliers that seek to go above and beyond these minimum requirements.
- They only use a 200 grade stainless that is appropriate for food storage; it has been lab tested and proven to show no radiation, contains less than 14% chromium (which prohibits corrosion) and less then 1% of nickel;
- Stainless steel has a natural corrosion resistance, therefore it is not required to apply a seal or coating to the metal that could potentially be toxic to people or the environment;
- Stainless steel does not leach any materials into food stuffs, nor does it absorb flavors or stains;
- Because of the hygienic qualities of stainless steel, no harsh chemicals are needed to get a clean surface;
- Stainless steel's durability ensures it's long life, but if it should need to be disposed of, it is 100% recyclable! In fact, over 50% of new stainless steel comes from recycled stainless steel scrap;
- They use sustainably harvested bamboo for their utensils; they chose bamboo because it's incredibly durable, beautiful, long lasting and does not stain or absorb food flavors;
- To-Go Ware's CONSERVE recycled plastic utensil wraps, are incredibly durable, easy to clean, do not absorb and pass on food flavors, nor do they leach chemicals; additionally, their durability ensures an extended life cycle, further lessening their overall impact on the Earth;
- To-Go Ware's food carrier bags are now made by WEAVE, but will soon be made of reclaimed cotton by a company in India.